Cattle hoof trimming is an important work in the production of pastures. It is an important measure to prevent the disease of cattle hooves . With the continuous construction of large-scale pastures and the intensification of feeding methods, the amount of dairy cows is reduced. At present, the quantity is being pursued while the quality often can’t be done very well, so it is especially important to master the method of hoof trimming.
Before trimming hooves
1. Familiar with the anatomical structure and related knowledge of cow’s hoof
The hoof wall, that is, the front and rear parts of the hoof, is linear.
The bottom of the hoof is the part of the bottom of the hoof, and the back part is the hoof heel.
The hoof bow is the left and right hoof flap, starting from the hoof about 1 cm from the tip of the hoof heel , and 15 cm perpendicular to the hoof wall.
The white line of the hoof is the light band between the horny of the hoof wall and the bottom of the hoof .
It is formed by the lobular layer of the hoof wall extending toward the bottom of the hoof.
Load ,that is, cow’s hooves are mainly supported weight by the hoof wall and the hoof heel.
The shallow road is located above the bottom of the hoof and a groove at the edge of the hoof shell.
2. Clear trimming hoof objects
Ensure that each cow is hoofed twice a year. It is recommended to trim the hoof once every 120-150 days after delivery and at the time of weaning . Monthly statistics on the hoofs of the cattle hooves of the whole group are carried out for the purpose of preventive hoof repair, thereby reducing the incidence of hoof disease . Working from both normal and targeted dressing can ensure the thoroughness of the hoof trimming and reduce the adverse effects of lameness.
3. Construction of a reasonable trimming hoof area
- Generally, it is selected in places where the stress response to cattle is small and it is convenient to observe the deformation of the hoof and the related situation.
- Generally, the area of trimming hoof should have a relatively large space for activities. The site should be clean , and the ground level should be flat. There should be no sharp objects such as stones, and there should be no water on the ground.
- The the area of trimming hoof should be equipped with a drinking water tank to ensure that the cattle have enough clean water during trimming hoof.
- The railings in the repairing area should be firm and undamaged.
- A water pipe should be provided next to the trimming shoe to facilitate water use.
- Generally, a rubber pad should be placed under the trimming hoof platform to prevent damage to the joint when the cow is placed, thereby improving comfort.
4. Defining the purpose of trimming hoof
Reduce the incidence of hoof disease, improve production efficiency, and maintain the health of cattle.
5. Familiar with relevant tools and protective points
(1) The tools for hoof repair mainly include trim hoof clamps, angle grinders, special blades, hook knives, record books, hoof knives, marker pens and ropes. Each tool is preferably prepared in duplicate for spare use.
(2) When using the angle grinder, pay attention to the distance between the hand and the cutter head . Cut off the power before removing the cutter. And perform a comprehensive inspection on the angle grinder every week.
(3) When using the hook knife, be careful not to put your hand under the knife to avoid scratching your hand, and sharpen the knife edge every day to keep it sharp.
6. Make the cow stand still in a reasonable, fast and scientific way
Abdominal belt method: After the cattle are driven into the hoof repair rack, the cattle are squeezed. During the period, it is necessary to pay attention to the back abdominal wounds and the breasts and nipples.
Limb and hoof method: After using the abdominal belt method, transfer the hoof repair car to a suitable position (convenient for people to operate), use the rope to bind, first bind the rear hoof and then bind the front hoof, and both sides are carried out at the same time, so fast, to avoid kicking To yourself.
Cutting hoof tip
According to the degree of deformation of the hoof, use the trim hoof clamp to remove excess keratin and cut out the shape close to the normal hoof . The front wall of the hoof is generally as long as the width of the four fingers.
Grinding the bottom of the hoof
Use an electric angle grinder or a hoof knife to smooth the edges of the sole and the outside of the hoof, but not excessively cut. The hard shell on the outside of the hoof should not be trimmed as much as possible, and the finished hoof should be horizontal and vertical. The angle between the hoof wall and the ground is 50° for the front hoof and 50-53° for the rear hoof.
Trimming hoof bow
When trimming the hoof bow, the inner side is required to be smooth and not angular, and the load surface is also kept at 1.5 cm or more . When hoofing the bow, it is most likely to bleed from the inside of the shin tip 1 cm and the bottom of the hoof, so be careful.
Handling shallows and black spots
Quickly remove the diseased tissue, the whole process should be disinfected in time to ensure aseptic operation.
Where the horny horny horns are stratified or shallow, the keratin of the outer layer should be removed, and the treatment should be tentatively treated, not blind, so as not to hurt the normal tissue.
For suppurative wounds, use a scalpel to thoroughly remove the carrion and see fresh wounds.
For interphalangeal fibroids (contagious) – be sure to remove the base of the neoplasm that protrudes from normal skin.
The hoof trimming is one of the methods to prevent and treat foot and hoof disease. It is one of the methods for health of cows’ toe hooves. Therefore, the cattle farm should do a good job in training the trimming hoof technicians according to the actual situation, and formulate a reasonable hoof health plan. Prevention and treatment of hoof and foot disease.